SimCityEDU Available Now!
SimCityEDU: Pollution Challenge! is a game-based learning and assessment tool for middle school students covering the Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards.
• Engage students with a high-quality game experience
• Develop real-world problem-solving skills
• Unlock new ways to assess
How is SimCityEDU Different from Other Learning Games?
With SimCityEDU, educators have more than a just digital game. They have the tools and content they need to make learning come alive for their students. In the game, students play the role of mayor, doing the challenging work of addressing environmental impact while balancing the employment needs and the happiness of the city’s citizens.
Designed in partnership with the assessment experts from ETS and Pearson, SimCityEDU: Pollution Challenge! not only teaches students about the factors affecting the environment in a modern city, but the game also provides formative assessment information about students’ ability to problem solve, explain the relationships in complex systems, and read informational texts and diagrams.
Lesson plans, teacher and student dashboards—along with student data reporting—complete the SimCityEDU experience, delivering personalized learning to every student.
Learn how teachers are using the game in their classrooms!
Which Standards are Covered?
- ELA Common Core
- Cite specific textual evidence to support conclusions, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.1
- Integrate information from texts & diagrams, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.7
- Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.7.1
- Proficiently read and comprehend literary nonfiction, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.6-8.10
- Read and understand text and make logical inferences from it, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.1
- Next Generation Science
- ESS3.C Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- Cross Cutting Concept: Systems Thinking
- 21st Century Skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving
How Does the Game Work?
SimCityEDU: Pollution Challenge! is made of six different missions all centered on theme of environmental impact. In each mission, students are tasked with solving increasingly complex problems.
To learn more about each mission download the SimCityEDU overview brochure (PDF).
What are Educators Saying?
SimCityEDU has been piloted by over 100 teachers and 3,000 students. Here’s what educators are saying about the game.
GlassLab Team, you’ve outdone yourselves with this release; as if I had any doubt. Teacher dashboard likes: diagramming tutorial in the mission, lesson plans in the mission, automatic grading.
Teacher, Robinswood Middle School
I also wanted to take the time out to say how impressed I’ve been with the challenges. But most of all, the lessons. These lessons really to do a great job of compelling students to engage in textual analysis in effective ways. SimCityEdu has really outdone themselves. Bravo!
Teacher, East Windsor Middle School
East Windsor, CT
I launched today and it was fantastic! All the students were engaged and the classroom chatter was on topic. I had 7 students come up to me at the end of class and ask if they could continue to work on SimCityEDU at home. YES!
Teacher, Edison Regional Gifted Center